Rick Hird is a partner with Petefish, Immel, Hird, Johnson, Leibold & Sloan, LLP in Lawrence, KS, with more than 30 years of experience helping clients find solutions in the areas of corporate and business law, administrative and regulatory law, business transactions, litigation and estate planning.
Rick helps clients with all types of business issues, from selecting and forming the correct type of business entity, to navigating mergers and acquisitions, obtaining project and operating credit facilities, drafting contracts and creating exit strategies with integrated estate planning. He drafts wills and trusts and related estate planning documents in a collaborative environment with clients’ accounting and financial advisors. He works with individuals, small businesses and large businesses, always with the objective of timely delivery of accurate and thoughtful legal services.
Rick has a strong background in regulatory and administrative law, having served as Assistant General Counsel to the Kansas Corporation Commission during the mid-1980s. During that time, Rick attended the Advanced Regulatory Studies Program sponsored by the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners at Michigan State University. Rick has represented telecommunications and energy industry clients in state and federal courts and before regulatory agencies in Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.
Rick is involved in his community and believes in giving back. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce and served on the Lawrence-Douglas County Metropolitan Planning Commission from 2007 to 2013 (Chairman 2011-2012). He is a member of the Board of Directors (Vice President, 2015) of Douglas County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), a member of the Board of Directors of Willow Springs Fire District No. 3, Secretary of the Board of Directors of Douglas County Rural Water District No. 2, a member and past President of the Douglas County Bar Association, and a member of Rotary International.
Rick, his wife Debby and two sons live in the country with two dogs and two cats. They have a small vineyard, aptly named Wild Hare Vineyard, and enjoy working outdoors and making wine. They are also KU alumni and avid Jayhawks fans.
- United States Supreme Court (1997)
- 10th Circuit Court of Appeals (1982)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas (1982)
- U.S. Tax Court (2005)
- State of Kansas (1982)
- State of Missouri (2006)
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, B.S. Journalism, 1976
- Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, KS, J.D., December 1981
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners Advanced Regulatory Studies Program, 1986
Speaking and Publications
- Legal Issues for Business Owners, WCAF Show, Las Vegas, NV, January 2005
- Opening For Business, PPFA National Convention, Atlanta, GA, September 2005
- Helping Your Clients Buy and Sell Businesses, CLE for Douglas County Bar Association, Lawrence, KS, December 2009
- Due Diligence in Business Transactions, CLE for Kansas Bar Association, Overland Park, KS, October 2010
- Legal and Regulatory Challenges and Hurdles for NG9-1-1 Implementation: View from the Commissions, NENA and Lessons from the Frontline, Panel Discussion, Illinois Institute of Technology Real Time Communications Laboratory 7th Annual Conference, October 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas and Douglas County (President, 2009-2010) Bar Associations
- Douglas County Bench-Bar Committee (2010)
- Douglas County Estate Planning Council
- Judge Hugh Means American Inns of Court
- National Emergency Number Association
Civic Appointments / Memberships
- Member, Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission (2007 to 2013; Chair, 2011-2012)
- Member, Board of Directors, Douglas County Rural Water District No. 2 (Board Secretary)
- Member, Board of Directors, Lawrence Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Board of Directors, Douglas County Court Appointed Special Advocates (Vice President, 2015)
- Member, Board of Directors, Willow Springs Fire District No. 3
- Rotary International