Terry Leibold is a partner with Petefish, Immel, Hird, Johnson, Leibold & Sloan, LLP in Lawrence, KS, with a practice focusing on general civil litigation, creditor’s rights, real estate law, representation of property owners’ associations, and assisting small businesses.
Terry was appointed to serve as a District Court Judge Pro Tem for Douglas County, Kansas for three years. And in this position, he presided over numerous bench trials. As a lawyer, Terry has won over 15 bench and jury trials in Kansas and Missouri and has been involved in numerous pre-trial motions that have disposed of his clients’ cases favorably. In 2014, Terry successfully completed the Ross T. Roberts Trial academy put on by the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, which is an intensive trial skills workshop providing over fifty-four hours of trial skill development. Although Terry has significant experience in litigating cases, he has helped substantially more clients favorably settle disputes out of court.
Terry also has a significant real estate practice in which he has assisted hundreds of clients with various real estate issues. In this practice he has helped his clients with mortgage foreclosures, prescriptive easements, quieting title to real estate, and foreclosures of security interests. Terry has drafted and negotiated commercial and residential real estate leases and sale and purchase contracts, representing both landlords and tenants, and buyers and sellers. And he has represented real estate developers before Planning and City Commissions and Boards of Zoning Appeals. He has also reviewed and negotiated multi-million dollar end-loans for real estate developments and apartment projects. He has also helped clients in the construction of new condominium buildings and conversion of older buildings into condominiums. He has significant experience in drafting and negotiating various other real estate instruments, including easements, licenses, mortgages and deeds.
Terry was the President of the Judge Hugh Means American Inn of Court ending his term in May of 2012. And Terry is very active in the Kansas Bar Association; he was the President of the Young Lawyers Section, a member of the Kansas Board of Governors, and a trustee of the Kansas Bar Foundation. Terry was also a member of the Board of Trustees for the Lawrence Public Library for over ten years. Terry was also appointed by the Chairperson of the Kansas Board for Discipline of Attorneys as an at-large member of a Hearing Panel to hear and rule on alleged violations of the Kansas Rules of Professional Conduct by a lawyer licensed in Kansas.
Terry is proud to have served for three years in the U.S. Army after he graduated from high school. During his service, he was a saxophone player for the 7th Infantry Division Band and trained as an enemy prisoner of war guard. He was awarded the Army Commendation Medal and the Good Conduct Medal. After his service in the Army, Terry joined the Kansas National Guard and served with 35th Infantry Division Band.
Prior to joining Petefish, Terry practiced law at Barber Emerson, L.C. in Lawrence, Kansas and Chapman, Waters and Baxter in Leavenworth, Kansas. Terry received his undergraduate degree and his law degree from The University of Kansas and is a member of the Kansas and Missouri Bars.
When he is not practicing law, Terry enjoys spending time with his wife and four boys, attending theater productions—especially those in which his boys are participating, boating and reading military history. Terry also enjoys attending Kansas Jayhawk sporting events.
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas
- B.A., in History and in German, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Young Lawyer Award from the Kansas Bar Association
- American Jurisprudence Award for Property I
- The Paralegal’s Role in the Real Estate Transaction in Kansas in 1998 and in 1999.
- Bridging the Gap: Practical Skills for Lawyers, Practical Situations in Real Estate, 2001.
- Swearing-in Ceremony for New Admittees to the Kansas Bar, 2001-2002
- Landlord-Tenant Law, 2006
- Land Use Controls and Zoning published in the Kansas Bar Association Handbook, Kansas Real Estate Practice & Procedure (4th ed. 1999 and 5th ed. 2009)
- Oakley Homeowner’s Association, Inc. v. Hoffman, et al., Case No. 11 CV 65
- In the Matter of the Estate of Henry M. Roloff, 36 Kan. App. 2d 684, 143 P.3d 406 (2006)
- Paul Davis Restoration v. Kramer, Case No. 11CV676. In October of 2013, Terry obtained a favorable jury verdict in which the jury found that a restoration business had committed twelve violations of the Kansas Consumer Protection Act in the restoration of the client’s home, and in August of 2014, the Court assessed $28,500 in civil penalties and over $23,000 in attorneys’ fees.
- In November 2013, after eight days of trial, Terry achieved a favorable settlement in defense of a lender liability case in which the first party dropped its claim of damages in excess of a million dollars against the client and paid the client in excess of $660,000, and in which another party accepted an amount that was less than fifteen percent of the amount demanded against the client, and the amount was paid by the first party. And in a related case, achieved a settlement in which the opposing party accepted less than ten percent of the amount demanded against the client.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas Bar Association
- Member, 1996-Present
- Member of Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section
- High School Mock Trial, Coordinator for Coaches and Judges
- CLE Committee Liaison, Young Lawyers Section
- President-Elect, Young Lawyers Section
- President, Young Lawyers Section
- Board of Governors
- Board of Governors, Executive Committee
- Missouri Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Douglas County Bar Association
- Judge Hugh Means American Inn of Court (Chair, Vice Chair, Membership Chair, and Secretary)
- Lawrence Public Library Board of Trustees (Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary-Treasurer)
- Lawrence Chamber of Commerce
- Fellow, Kansas Bar Foundation
- Leadership Lawrence (class of 2001)
- St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center (Member of Foundation Board of Directors, Member of the Corporate Sponsorship Committee, Chair of the Corporate Sponsorship Committee, and Lead Couple for Marriage Preparation Class)